How to Create a Profitable Bar Menu
A great menu is more than just a list of drinks you sell. In this video Julian de Féral discusses tips for creating a profitable bar menu.
Author: Julian de Féral, industry expert and consultant
Estimated watch time: 9 Minutes
When designing a drink menu, it’s not just about creating a list of drinks you sell in your venue. Instead, think of your bar menu as an extension of your customer experience, brand image, and identity.
A menu influences a customer’s choices, inspires their future orders, and evokes feelings about your venue. When shared online, it allows you to set the tone of voice, even before a guest sets foot in your bar.
In this Bitesize Session, industry expert and consultant, Julian de Féral, shares tips for creating a profitable bar menu and highlights some examples of creatively designed menus.
- Most people tend to pick their orders from the start or end of the menu — take advantage of these spots to list your favorite serves, seasonal cocktails, or special offers.
- Some customers prefer recommendations — you can add a bartender’s recommendation section to your venue to save your guests from choice overload.
- 52% of alcohol is consumed with a meal — take this opportunity to add drinks and food pairings to optimize guest spend and profitability.
- A bar menu influences the choices and experience of guests in your venue — categorize your menu items to simplify their choices, while highlighting the popular serves in each category.
- A third of guests are usually undecided about what they’ll order in a venue — use your menu format and sections to influence their choices and ensure a positive experience.