ADDRESS NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS WITH SMART COCKTAIL SOLUTIONS
CONSUMERS CRAVE FLAVOR WITHOUT CALORIES
It happens every year: after a holiday season of splurging, people are looking to make smarter food and beverage choices — especially when it comes to things like sugar and empty calories. While some will swear off adult beverages altogether, a lot of people prefer to make the switch to smarter drink solutions without sacrificing flavor. And because cocktails are the most profitable beverage you can sell, it’s important to offer your guests tempting options without the sugar load and calorie count of traditional mixed drinks.
“SKINNY” COCKTAILS DECODED
Over the last decade, “skinny cocktails” have become more and more popular with consumers — most notably in January when people seek to shed the pounds acquired during the festive run-up to the new year. Mixologist and dieticians alike recommend sticking to simple mixed drinks for easy calorie reduction – or eschewing mixers altogether and enjoying spirits straight up or on the rocks. But when you nix the mix or switch to the simplicity of soda, the quality and flavor of the selected spirit becomes even more important. Below are some savvy new year drink options that rank high in flavor and low in calories.
INFUSED WITH FLAVOR — NOT SUGAR
Ketel One Botanical Vodka has made a big splash with bartenders and consumers alike since its launch, and for good reason. It’s distilled with real botanicals and infused with natural fruit essence to deliver full flavor, minus empty calories. Exceptionally easy on the palate, it’s made without sugar, artificial sweeteners or flavors and weighs in at just 73 calories per serving. Refreshing, clean and crisp, Ketel One Botanical Vodkas play exceptionally well with soda for low-calorie cocktails your guests will love. Serve in a tulip wine glass with ice topped with a fresh garnish for appetite appeal.
• Combine Ketel One Botanical Cucumber & Mint Vodka with club soda and garnish with a mint sprig.
• Top Ketel One Botanical Grapefruit & Rose Vodka with club soda, stir and garnish with a grapefruit slice.
• Mix Ketel One Botanical Peach & Orange Blossom with with club soda and garnish with an orange slice.
FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR LOWER ABV
Although the majority of your guests will be looking for low-calorie cocktail options, there are those who will want to cut down their alcohol intake in the new year. In fact, a moderation movement of sorts has led to a widespread adoption of lower alcohol cocktails. (For more information, visit the USBG world class module page where you can take the Low ABV Course.) As with the limiting calories, they key to offering drinks with less alcohol is quality and simplicity. Tanqueray London Dry Gin is the perfect balance of four botanicals and ingredients that remain unchanged since they were first used by Charles Tanqueray.
Mix Tanqueray London Dry Gin with fresh tonic water and serve over ice in a Copa glass. Garnish with a fresh lime wedge.
GIVE IT TO THEM STRAIGHT UP
One of the most popular ways to avoid calories is to avoid mixers altogether. By sipping and savoring quality spirits neat or over ice, your guests can enjoy refined flavor for only about 100 calories a glass and avoid the added sugar of juice and soda mixers. Below are some of the most popular options among on-premise consumers.
TEMPT THEM WITH TEQUILIA
When unmasked with sweet mixers or Margarita mix, the tequila you choose really counts. Offering six unique and sought-after tequilas, Don Julio prides itself on consistent quality and craftsmanship. All varieties can be enjoyed straight up in a snifter or over ice on a rocks glass.
- Don Julio Blanco Tequila: Crisp agave flavor with hints of citrus for a light, sweet flavor. Gluten-free and Kosher.
- Don Julio Reposado Tequila: golden amber in color, it offers a rich, smooth finish—the very essence of the perfect barrel-aged tequila.
- Don Julio Anejo Tequila: Rich, distinctive and wonderfully complex, its flavor strikes the perfect balance between agave, wood and hints of vanilla.
- Don Julio 70 Anejo Claro Tequila: Bringing together the smoothness of a Blanco and the complexity of an Añejo for a totally unique tequila experience.
- Don Julio 1942 Tequila: Celebrated in exclusive cocktail bars, restaurants and nightclubs, the iconic Don Julio 1942 Tequila is the choice of connoisseurs around the globe.
- Don Julio REAL Tequila: Artfully aged for three to five years in American white-oak barrels, Don Julio REAL Tequila is the crown jewel of the Tequila Don Julio portfolio.
WOW THEM WITH WHISKY
- With an exceptional range of blended Scotch Whisky, Johnny Walker & Sons offers something for every occasion and celebration. All varieties can be enjoyed on the rocks, with a splash of water or neat for slow sipping and savoring satisfaction.
- Johnny Walker Black Label: Created using only whiskies aged for a minimum of 12 years from the four corners of Scotland, Johnnie Walker Black Label has an unmistakably smooth, deep character.
Johnny Walker Double Black: Full-bodied with an intense smoky character and layers of spice, it’s strongly influenced by powerful West Coast and Island whiskies.
Johnny Walker Gold Label Reserve: A luxurious and smooth whisky, with notes of vanilla and dark fruit, it’s a tribute to the harmonious partnership of Speyside and Highland whiskies.
Johnny Walker Aged 18 Years: Carefully chosen for their flavor and quality, this blend of aged whiskies makes for a wonderful combination of both classic and contemporary tastes – blending notes of citrus and fragrant almonds, with warm vanilla and a hint of tropical tangerines.
Johnny Walker Blue Label: An exquisite combination of Scotland’s rarest and most exceptional whiskies. Only one in every ten thousand casks has the elusive quality, character and flavor to deliver this remarkable signature taste.
A NEW YEAR MEANS NEW OPPORTUNTIES
Updating your cocktail menu to address your guest’s health and wellness goals is a great way to show you understand them. It’s also an opportunity to engage and educate them with valuable information. By putting the focus on quality — not quantity — you’ll earn their respect, appreciation and repeat business. And for optimal results, don’t forget to promote your updated drink menu and spread the word on social media!
DID YOU KNOW?
According to a survey of 2,000 people by Inc. Magazine, these are the top 5 New Year's resolutions for 2019:
1. Diet or eat healthier (71%)
2. Exercise more (65%)
3. Lose weight (54%)
4. Save more and spend less (32%)
5. Learn a new skill or hobby (26%)