Tips for online success in your venue
WHY YOUR VENUE SHOULD BE ONLINE
With 27% of the world's population using social media on their mobile devices and with lots of people using the internet to find a venue, having an online presence has never been more important. Here are 4 more reasons:
- Reaching new customers: Many people search online to get inspiration on where to go.
- Showcase your personality: By posting on your channels and communicating with your audience, you can engage with your customers, increasing loyalty.
- Interaction: Online channels offer a great place to hear what your customers have to say and learn how to improve your service.
- Cost effective: The money invested on online advertising for your bar is the most cost effective you can pay for.
HOW DO YOU MAXIMIZE ONLINE PRESENCE FOR YOUR VENUE
1. USING SOCIAL MEDIA
If your outlet is not already on social media, it is time to start! These channels are a great way to share content, make instant connections and build relationships with current and future fans.
Facebook: Connect directly with customers.
3 Quick ideas:
- Say thanks - Find people who have mentioned or tagged you and say thanks with a new drink just for them.
- Make your post relevant - Drive footfall with posts and offers relevant to the day, area or occasion.
- Take photos - Images get you double the likes, so never post without a great picture.
Twitter: Tap into trends in the drinks industry and get in touch with local influencers.
3 Quick ideas:
- Love your locals - Tweet locals who have a good following and give them an offer for your outlet.
- Get tweets right - Images, short videos, just one hashtag and URLs in the middle of the text create better tweets.
- Use local #hashtags - If there is a popular, local hashtag, include it in every relevant tweet.
Instagram: Inspire fans and new customers by posting beautiful images and videos.
3 Quick ideas:
- Create photo contests- Encourage people to share photos of your outlet with photo contests.
- Use a filter- Light, textured photos get more likes - so use daylight and filters.
- Always tag your location in every post - It encourages footfall to your outlet and drives more likes.
2. OWN YOUR AREA
Location-based marketing allows you to target people who are looking for a great place to eat and drink in your area.
3 steps to success:
Get your business on an online map
The easiest way for people to find your outlet is on an online map such as Google Maps or Apple Maps.
Create local ads
You can do this by bidding for local search terms in Google and posting local ads on Facebook and Twitter and then geo targeting people in your area.
Be active on review sites
New customers often look up reviews before they visit. Make sure your outlet has accurate descriptions and compelling photos on review sites such as Trip Advisor or Yelp.
Acknowledge your customers reviews and respond to them - whether the review is positive or not!
3. WEBSITE, SEARCH & E-MAIL MARKETING
Website: Your shop window online and opportunity to attract potential customers.
5 features of a great website:
- Use fast, mobile-friendly templates for people on the go.
- Ensure the address, opening times and menus are easy to find.
- Make sure people can contact you.
- Add a link that opens your location in Google Maps.
- Use your site to highlight events, deals and specials. Also promote these through your newsletter or social media.
Many people use a search engine, such as Google, to look for a venue. It is important to consider how high up your venue appears on a results page through search as this will help people find your outlet online.
5 ways to make your website easier to find:
- Find locally relevant keywords using Google AdWords.
- Use keywords in your website, especially in your metatags.
- Include your name and location in your page title.
- Linking is important for SEO. Ask others to link to your site. It will help you rank higher in search engines.
- Start a blog and publish a new article every month. Search engines love fresh content.
This is how you can keep in touch with your biggest fans and is also a great way to share news, promotions and drive footfall to your outlet.
5 steps to email marketing success:
- Always ask permission before sending fans emails.
- Make content engaging and relevant to the reader.
- Use promotions to ask for names, birthdays and tastes of specific customers so you can target emails to specific customers at a later date.
- Don’t email too often as it can turn people off.
- Avoid subject lines including words like FREE and PROMO, which may go to spam.
Join in the conversation and Tweet us at @diageobarac, share your photos on Instagram @diageobarac or post on our Facebook page. We’d love to hear from you.
Sign up and become a member of Diageo Bar Academy today and unlock the latest industry news, trends and tips to keep your bar knowledge up to speed!