UPSELL TO INDULGENCE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
An intensely social season, the holidays are all about coming together in celebration. Family gatherings, office parties, and casual get-togethers with friends pack our calendars with opportunities to mix and mingle. As tradition would have it, these convivial occasions almost always call for indulgent food and drink selections. And because almost a third (32%) of consumers say their restaurant visits are impacted by seaonality1 operators stand to benefit greatly by adjusting their offerings accordingly.
‘TIS THE SEASON TO EAT, DRINK & BE MERRY
Celebrating the holidays translates to a desire for indulgence in all its forms: generous gift-giving, rich foods, and of course, decadent cocktails. Adjusting for seasonality can be easily accomplished by updating classic cocktails with new types of spirits and liqueur or festive, warming elements like nutmeg to make them feel more special. Dessert-inspired temptations, iced drinks, coffee-based cocktails, and premium ingredients are on-trend and in demand for the holiday season.
APPEAL TO NOSTALGIA WITH HOLIDAY FLAVORS
During the holidays, genuine emotional connections and a sense of tradition take precedence. Research has shown that spending time with family, food, and indulging in traditions are the top three reasons why Americans look forward to Christmas. Not surprisingly, an overwhelming 70% of people say that family traditions are important to their sense of identity.2 You can appeal to this nostalgic mindset with drink offerings that include traditional, seasonal flavor cues like almond and peppermint. Here are some tasty recipes to try.
FOR THOSE WHO LIKE THEIR NUTCRACKER SWEET
Baileys Almande is a nutty new take on a festive favorite, delivering dairy-free decadence with real almond milk. Its nuanced flavor includes sweet almond oil (extracted from crushed almonds), cane sugar and purified water with a touch of real vanilla. Smooth and easy on the palate, it’s also deceptively light and versatile and can be incorporated into both iced and hot cocktails. Here’s a roundup of our holiday favorites.
- Egg Nog Almande: Add Baileys Almande Almond milk Liqueur, Irish Whiskey and milk to a shaker and shake vigorously. Strain into a glass and sprinkle with a pinch of ground nutmeg for garnish.
- Baileys Almande Spiced Iced Coffee: Combine Baileys Almande Almond milk Liqueur, a splash of cinnamon syrup and one cup of cold brew coffee in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a rocks glass and top with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Baileys Almande Hot Chocolate: Prepare a mug of hot chocolate and stir in a splash of Baileys Almande Almond milk Liqueur. Top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- Baileys Almande Spiced Chai Tea: Combine Baileys Almande Almond milk Liqueur and warm milk (or almond milk if you prefer) that has been steeped with a chai tea bag. Top with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon.
CANDY CANE FLAVOR WITH A DELICIOUS TWIST
Peppermint is one of this season’s hottest flavor sensations and with good reason – it’s cool flavor instantly transports you to a more festive frame of mind. Smirnoff Peppermint Twist is a limited-edition offering that combines award-winning vodka with a sweet, candied flavor. It’s delicious as an iced shot but can also be creatively combined with other ingredients for a variety of hot and cold drink sensations. Below are some of our favorites.
- Smirnoff Peppermint Martini: Combine Smirnoff Peppermint Twist Vodka and Baileys Original Irish Cream Liqueur in a shaker with ice; shake vigorously, then strain into a chilled martini class rimmed with crushed peppermint sticks. Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Smirnoff Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Pour one shot of Smirnoff Peppermint Twist Vodka into a mug of hot chocolate. Garnish with whipped cream and a peppermint stick or candy cane.
- Smirnoff Peppermint Coffee: Pour one shot of Smirnoff Peppermint Twist Vodka into a mug of hot coffee. Garnish with whipped cream and a peppermint stick.
- Smirnoff Peppermint White Russian: Combine Smirnoff Peppermint Twist Vodka, Baileys Vanilla Cinnamon Liqueur and light cream with ice in a shaker; shake vigorously and pour into an ice-filled old-fashioned glass and garnish with a candy cane.
EVEN MORE DELIGHTFUL DECADENCE
- Baileys Mistletoe Martini: Add Baileys Irish Cream, Smirnoff Vodka, Crème de Menthe and a splash of milk to a shaker with ice and shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a candy cane.
- Baileys Salted Caramel & Coffee: Pour one shot of Baileys Salted Caramel into a steaming mug of coffee and top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- Baileys Espresso Martini: Pour Baileys Espresso Crème Liqueur, Smirnoff Vodka and a shot of espresso into a shaker with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with coffee beans.
- Baileys Espresso Eggnog: Add Baileys Espresso Crème Liqueur, Irish Whiskey, milk and one unwhisked egg into a shaker with ice; shake vigorously then strain into a glass, dust with nutmeg and add a cinnamon stick to garnish.
MIX & MINGLE FOR CASH REGISTER JINGLE
From office parties to casual get-togethers with friends, the holidays offer a wealth of opportunity for bar and restaurant owners. Festive, decadent drinks appeal to the seasonal mindset and can help you stand out from competitors. And because cocktails have a high profit margin, making them a focus of your marketing mix makes good business sense. Promote your holiday drink menu early and often to leverage the spirit of the season – and don’t forget to spread the word on social media!
1 Technomics 2017 Flavor Consumer Trend Report
2 Foresight Factory