The Essential Technique of Pouring
Pouring may sound simple but get it wrong and you could affect the quality and taste of your serve. Master your pouring technique and follow these simple rules.
One of the most essential bar skills is pouring. Not only does a good pouring technique improve speed of service but ensures your customer gets a consistent quality serve every time. It also reduces wastage and keeps you on the good side of your bar manager. So let’s get started.
Essential tools for pouring
Pour spouts are used to control the pouring of drinks. Pourers should be stored in a safe place and put on to your most commonly used bottles at the beginning of service.
Jiggers are used to pour accurate amounts of spirit. The maximum legal amount of each measure varies around the world so best to check with your manager as to your local limit.
Rinse all your jiggers between serves to ensure liquids don’t mix. Jiggers should be stored together on a drainage tray on the bar top.
Top tips for the perfect pour
• Set all pour spouts in the same direction - to the right as you view the bottles.
• Always pour in front of your customers, with the bottle label facing them.
• Taste the drink before serving (by using a straw) to ensure the quality and consistency of your drinks.
• Never over-pour spirits as this can ruin the taste of the drink and will cost you money.
How to perfect the fresh hand cut
This technique is one of the most elegant and effective ways to pour. Use a pour spout and jigger and follow these steps:
1. Check the seal of the bottle and make sure the pourer is a good fit.
2. Hold the bottle firmly at the neck.
3. Keep your thumb or index finger on the pourer cap.
4. With the bottle held high, pour a steady stream.
5. To stop the flow, rotate your wrist around and down.
6. Remember, the bottle moves, the jigger stays still.
7. Hold the jigger above the tin and below eye-level.
8. Pour the lip of the measure then pour into the glass or mixing glass.
ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO SHAKING
Mastering your shaking technique can be a great way to inject a bit of theatre into your cocktails – guaranteed to wow your customers and enhance your serves.
PERFECTLY SERVED DRINKS
Getting a serve right is paramount to maximising sales, generating profit and customer satisfaction. A drink perfectly served will build trust, ensures your consumers will be back for more.
UBER BAR TOOLS
The job of a bartender is multi-faceted – creator of crafted drinks, purveyor of memorable experiences, best friend, but at the base of every bartender’s job is the need to produce efficient, speedy and consistent drinks.
Improving your speed and efficiency can also reduce wastage of stock. Over pouring and spillages not only affects your bar’s profits but when measures are wrong.
Want to get the latest tips and tricks to progress your bartending career? Sign up now to Diageo Bar Academy to have exclusive access to all of these and more.