Johnnie Walker Black Label
Slices of Fresh Ginger
Talisker Single Malt Whisky
Candied Ginger Pieces (Garnish)
0 units of alcohol per serve
- Muddle the Ginger in the base of a cocktail shaker.
- Shake the first three liquid ingredients with Ice.
- Strain into an Ice-filled Rocks Glass.
- Layer the Talisker over the top.
- Garnish with Candied Ginger Pieces.
20.5g per serve
The Penicillin is often referred to as a 'hangover cure' due to its ginger content, which is known to settle an upset stomach.
History of the drink
The Penicillin was invented by bartender Sam Ross in 2005, at the now-defunct Milk & Honey in New York City. The drink was inspired by a Scottish whisky cocktail called the Rusty Nail. Ross wanted to create a twist on the classic cocktail, so he added ginger and lemon to the mix. The drink was an instant success and has since been popularized by bartenders all over the world.