Johnnie Walker Black Label
Lapsang Souchong Tea
chilled cocoa (sweet spices optional)
Pinch of sea salt
0 units of alcohol per serve
pot or pan
- Bring some water to the boil and add the cocoa powder. I recommend using high quality cocoa powder between 75-85% pure cacao.
- Add some brown sugar - 1 teaspoon of sugar for every 2 teaspoons of cocoa and whisk well to dissolve.
- Add the Lapsang Tea (2 teaspoons per 250 ml of cocoa mix) and let soak for 3-4 minutes before straining.
- Add the festive spices of your choice. I recommend green cardamom, ginger, pepper, cinnamon, cloves or star anise and let the cocoa mix chill.
- Take a highball glass and fill with large ice cubes, add all ingredients except cocoa and mix.
- Pour the chilled cocoa mix on top while ensuring the layers don’t mix. Use a spoon to help slowly pour the cocoa to sustain the layers.
- Serve without a straw to ensure the flavour and warmth of the spiced cocoa hits the palate first.
- Accompany your Smoking Barrel with mini mince pies or chunks of bitter cocoa.