A GUIDE TO TUSKER
HISTORY AND HERITAGE
Over a century has passed since Kenya Breweries Limited was founded in Nairobi, where Kenya and Tusker Lager was first brewed. Since then, the brand has evolved and still stands strong as East African Breweries’ flagship brand. Shortly after the founding of the company by brothers Charles and George Hurst, George was tragically killed by an elephant while on a hunting expedition. In Kenya, male elephants are often called “Tuskers” and in honour of his late brother, Charles decided to name the company’s first batch of beer Tusker.
BEHOLD THE FINEST
Tusker Lager is brewed from 100% African ingredients that are all locally sourced; the barley is from the Savannah of the Maasai Mara, the spring water is from the Nyandarua ranges in the Aberdare Mountains and all the yeast is developed locally. Tusker contains a minimum of 50% malted barley, providing a malty, full-bodied flavour.
- The grains are milled and mashed to produce a wort which is then boiled to stabilise it.
- The hops are introduced to add bitterness before the wort is cooled for fermentation.
- Tusker’s signature yeast is then added and fermentation is carefully controlled to achieve the exact flavour profile required.
- The beer is filtered and clarifiedto ensure exceptional appearance before bottling.
- At each stage of the process, stringent checks and controls ensure that every Tusker is of the highest quality
The perfect Tusker is served “Baridi Sana”– between 3 and 7 degrees Celsius
THE PERFECT POUR
- Select your glass. The ideal beer glass should be clean, free of any oils or dirt and in good condition without chips or cracks.
- Hold the glass at a 45°angle
- Slowly pour the Tusker while gradually straightening the glass
- When around ¾ full, straighten the glass completely and carefully raise the height of the pour to ensure a perfect, foamy head.
- Serve immediately
- Our iconic elephant logo continues to act as a national symbol representing integrity, national pride and of course, great tasting beer.
- Tusker has won numerous awards including Gold medals at the 2012 and 2013 Le Monde Selection in Brussels.
- Over 70 million litres of Tusker are sold every year – which works out to over 384 000 Tuskers enjoyed by East Africans every single day!
- Tusker is known for its iconic partnerships. From having a football team that is one of the most successful in the country, to making its name synonymous with sevens rugby, and even sponsoring the Kenya Olympic team at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- Tusker is a force to reckon with when it comes to Kenyan culture and the latest project “Tusker Nexters” is already leading the way with a nation-wide talent search for upcoming music and eSports talent!
TAKE THE ESSENTIAL TUSKER QUIZ
Think you know everything you need to know about Tusker?
Take our essential quiz and put your knowledge to the test...